By Kelly Thomas Brown
Bula Shark Defenders!
The most important day of the campaign to create a Fiji Shark Sanctuary is TOMORROW. And vosata for the extreme late notice, we just found out ourselves.
Mr. Inoke Wainiqolo, Permanent Secretary for Fisheries & Forests, issued a notice today that there will be a stakeholder consultation to discuss the protection of sharks in Fiji waters tomorrow, May 2, 2012, at 10:00 AM at the Suva Holiday Inn.
This is how you can help:
1. Attend the public consultation
2. Bring two friends to the public consultation with you.
3. Bring a letter or make a verbal statement of support to the public consultation.
Some of you may not be able to attend the public consultation in Suva on such short notice. If this is the case, you can still help:
1. Write a short letter to the Fiji Times explaining why you support shark protections. If you don't live here, say that you can't wait to come visit our sharks. Email your letter to: email@example.com.
2. Post our public service announcements to your Facebook wall. PSA #1 and PSA #2 talk about the importance of sharks, while PSA #3 (starring shark champion Senator Tony DeBrum from the Marshall Islands) talks about the importance of banning bycatch and transshipment.
3. Update your Facebook and Twitter status to "I love Fiji Sharks #FijiMe." Then Like, Share, and ReTweet the message everytime you see it!
If you have any questions, please contact Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay tuned for an update after tomorrow's meeting.
Kelly Thomas Brown is a Masters candidate at the University of South Pacific and is the Manager of Fiji Shark Defenders.